As the 101 Things to Do Before You Die list was originally created by someone else, I often have additions, changes, and other edits; this list is very much a living, breathing entity. The one thing that I’ve long felt was missing from the list was a plethora of sports related items I’d like to accomplish before I die.
The only sporty item on the original list was “#48: Be Present When Your Team Wins the World Cup.” As I couldn’t care less about soccer, I long ago changed this item to: “Be Present When UNC Wins the National Championship, Redskins Win the Super Bowl, or Hurricanes Win the Stanley Cup.” And really, there is so much more than that I’d like to accomplish.
You see, for a girl, I perhaps like sports a little more than you would think. Every morning I listen to Sports Center while I get ready. I played softball from age 8-22, some years playing 10 months out of 12. I’m a diehard Tarheels fan and have literally gotten into screaming-type arguments with people who don’t feel the same warm and fuzzies about UNC that I do. I enjoy golf and tennis, and have even played lacrosse and field hockey for a little while. My idea of a great Sunday is to head out to Flying Saucer to catch a football game.
I’ve posted a list Sports Illustrated created about things you should do before you graduate college and there are a lot of sports related things on that list. But it got me thinking-I should create a whole separate “Sports Things to Do Before You Die” list of my own. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- Be present when UNC wins the NCAA Basketball Tourney.
- Be present when the Washington Redskins win the Superbowl.
- Be present when the Carolina Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup.
- Attend a UNC v. Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium (and UNC wins)
- Attend a Duke v. UNC basketball game at Dean Smith Center (and UNC wins-I’ve been to a Duke/UNC game at the Dean Smith Center but UNC lost)
- Attend a UNC v. NCSU basketball game (and UNC wins) DONE 1/29/11
- Attend a UNC v. NCSU football game (and UNC wins – I went to my first UNC/NCSU football game this past November but we lost)
- Attend the ACC Tourney (and UNC wins-notice a pattern yet?)
- Attend a Ohio State v. Michigan football game (at the Horseshoe)
- Attend a Notre Dame football game (at Notre Dame Stadium)
- Attend a baseball game at Fenway Park
- Attend a baseball game at Wrigley Field
- Attend a World Series game
- Attend a Yankees v. Red Sox baseball game
- Attend a Redskins v. Cowboys football game
- Attend a Carolina Panthers football game
- Attend a Pittsburgh Steelers football game
- Attend a rugby game (and learn the rules)
- Attend a cricket game (and learn the rules)
- Attend a polo match
- Attend the US Open – Golf (maybe the next time it’s here at Pinehurst?)
- Attend the Winter Olympics
- Attend the Summer Olympics
- Attend the Kentucky Derby
- Attend the NHL Winter Classic
What additions do you have for the list? What’s on YOUR Sports Things to Do Before You Die list?