So based on Miranda’s 31 Things to Do Before 31, I decided I’d make a list too. After all, they say your 30s are the best years of your life, so I might as well take advantage of them. And while the 101 Things to Do Before You Die tend to be “big” things, there are a lot of “little” things that I’ve always meant to do and they should be included on a list somewhere too. Many of these are holdovers from my high schools list:
1. Be Able to Do a Pull Up
I have NO upper body strength and while I’ve always been rather athletic/worked out, I’ve never been able to do a pull up. Its what kept me from getting the Presidential Fitness award back in elementary school (yeah, and I’m still upset about it). Time to start working out my arms! (This kinda goes in line with my recent fascination with rock climbing. Add it to the list!)
2. Send cards regularly (birthdays, anniversaries, etc).
I’m a pretty thoughtless person when it comes to this stuff and when others remember to send me cards, I feel like crap for not returning the thought on their special days.
3. Be known for one food dish-COMPLETED!
I am officially known as the crab dip girl.
4. Go to high tea.- COMPLETED!
5. Learn another language
6. Begin a retirement fund – COMPLETED!
7. Finish the book list.
I’m only about 10 books away, so this shouldn’t be difficult. Of course, this includes all of Shakespeare’s works, so easier said than done.
8. Watch All of the Oscar Best Picture Winners
As of March 2014, I’ve seen 54 of the Best Picture winners
9. Learn to Scuba Dive – COMPLETED!
10. Conquer fear of water – COMPLETED
11. Learn to Rock Climb – COMPLETED
12. Take Cooking Classes
After my little bit of time spent in the kitchen in 2011, I’ve been inspired to take it a little further. There is only so much I can learn on my own, though and there are some things I want to learn very specifically, like how to make sushi, how to decorate cakes, or to get a whole lot better at Italian dishes.
13. See the Aurora Borealis
This is really the only big travel thing on my list. Perhaps within the next 10 years I can make it to Scandanavia to see the Northern Lights and….
14. Stay in an Ice Hotel – COMPLETED!
15. Visit the Grand Canyon – COMPLETED!
16. Get my Saucer-COMPLETED!
17. Shout “Drinks are on me!” at a bar
At Flying Saucer, there are usually only about 4 people there during the weekday around 3pm. I’m thinking that’s my time to do it!
18. Watch the Top 250 IMDB List
As of November 2012, I’ve seen 191 of the top 250 IMDB list.
19. Watch AFI’s top 100 films - COMPLETED!
20. Sing Karaoke – COMPLETED!
21. Run a marathon – COMPLETED!
22. Run the Krispy Kreme Challenge-COMPLETED!
23. Run the Warrior Dash – COMPLETED!
24. Take a Self-Defense Class-COMPLETED!
25. Complete the GQ beer list
26. Take an aerial silks class – COMPLETED!
27. Complete my novel
28. Sell a piece of art (and realize my childhood dream)
29. Pay off my student loan debt.
I’ve had different levels that I set for myself that let me know I had “made it.” One was to be able to afford regular pedicures, another was being able to purchase a house. While I originally thought my next goal should be “afford weekly massages” I’ve decided “Pay off Student Loan Debt” was more prudent. (and, in case you were wondering, I technically CAN afford weekly massages now. I just don’t think it’s that practical)
30. Have begun bringing in money through contract work – COMPLETED!
I make a fair bit of money copyediting dissertations and I’ve even begun working as a consultant on a very minimal basis. So…well done me!
31. Learn to swim – COMPLETED!
Again, helping to conquer my fear of water. And after a while, its embarrassing to say you can’t swim.
32. Learn to snow ski – COMPLETED
A holdover from the high school list.
33. Learn to drive a stick shift
Again, embarrassed to say that I never learned. And I have an irrational fear that one day there will be an emergency, and the only vehicle to drive to the hospital will be a stick.
34. Drive a Car at Top Speed
This is on the 101 list but after I learn how to drive a stick, then I’ll be able to do one of the NASCAR experiences and drive on a real track at top speed!
NC now has over 100 breweries. It only had 49 when I started this in the Fall of 2011. Thus far I have visited 40, but a lot of those are new and weren’t on that original list.
36. Learn to Belly Dance – COMPLETED
I am now dancing with the “veteran” girls. Now all that is left is to be given my “dance” name.
37. Go to confession.
38. See a movie in a Drive-In Theater – COMPLETED
There are a few around and I need to make a point of going before they disappear completely.
39. Lose 20 pounds – COMPLETED!
40. Reconnect with my faith
I was raised in a family that was very involved in our church. However, while in college, I got out of the habit and haven’t really gotten back. I have a lot of guilt about the absence of church in my life, and I make a lot of excuses, but its very important to me that my child be raised in the church too. More than anything on this list, this is something I NEED to do.